RESPONSE TO COVID-19
PHASED RE-OPENING OF SENIOR CENTERS
Our Senior Center Services team is working on plans for a phased reopening of indoor activities. Throughout the pandemic, Aster’s top priority remains the safety of the older and disabled adults we serve, our employees, and our volunteers. We will start with small group activities that more readily fit with safety standards. Large group activities (like dances and bingo), those with shared supplies (arts and crafts), and gathering areas (cafes and lounges) are planned for later phases. Dates have purposefully not been set for each phase of the reopening, as guidance from health experts, COVID transmission rate indicators, and vaccination rates continually change.
Thank you for your understanding as we move forward together. Aster is maintaining our current COVID safety requirements, including masks and physical distancing, for all participants and staff regardless of vaccination status during our early phases of reopening. These requirements will be reassessed before the end of June. We will share any planned changes in lifting specific safety requirements in advance.
Safety Guidelines for Reopened Group Activities
- Masks are required at all times during Aster activities. The only exception is that masks may be temporarily removed while participants are eating or drinking.
- Maintain physical distancing of six (6) feet from others.
- Tables and chairs will be set up in activity rooms in advance with required physical distancing. These may not be changed.
- Advance sign-up is required for all activities. Walk-ins will not be possible. Reservations will no longer be accepted once the maximum number has been reached. To sign-up in advance, participants may (1) call the Center, (2) make reservations with staff after participating in an activity, or (3) register through the on-line calendar by clicking an activity.
- Doors will be closed until 10 minutes before the activity begins. Staff will check participants in.
- Staff will sanitize all tables, chairs, and restrooms used after the activity and before the next activity begins.
Our Pick-up & Go meals will continue to be available – just call the Center by 2:00 PM the day before. Virtual activities, including Telephone Bingo, are also continuing.
Can we help you in getting vaccinated? Aster is scheduling appointments and providing transportation to the Mesa Fire Department’s weekly clinics at the Mesa Convention Center.
Please take care and stay safe! We all look forward to the end of this pandemic and the full reopening.
Updated May 21, 2021